Table of Contents
The line of Amazon’s Echo smart speakers comes equipped with Alexa, a digital personal assistant designed to make everyone’s life less complicated. You don’t have to purchase an Amazon Echo device to enjoy the advantages of Alexa at your command. All you need is a Windows 10 desktop or laptop with a built-in microphone and the Alexa app.
If you want to use your Amazon Echo device with your computer, you need to download the Alexa app. The app is available for PC, Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, and macOS. Once you have downloaded the app, open it and click on the three lines in the top left corner of the window. This will open a menu where you can choose to “Enable Voice Control.” Then just say “Alexa” followed by the command you want to execute.
What is Alexa App?
If you own an Echo device or the new Amazon Echo Dot, you can use the Alexa app to control your devices and access the internet. The Alexa app is available on computers, phones, and tablets. You can use it to check the weather, control music playback, and more. Just download the app from Amazon’s website or App Store and sign in with your Amazon account.
What can the Alexa App do?
Features of Alexa App:
- The Alexa app can be used to check the weather.
- The Alexa app can also control music playback from your Amazon Music library.
- You can ask Alexa to start playing a podcast or other audio files.
- You can use the Alexa app to set alarms and timers. The
- Alexa app can control the brightness of your smart lights.
- The Alexa app provides access to Amazon Music, Audible, and other popular services.
- The Alexa app can be used to check the status of your connected devices. The Alexa app can be used to control your smart home devices.
- The Alexa app provides a list of your connected smart home devices.
- The Alexa app can be used to check the status of your Amazon accounts and order history.
How do you connect Alexa App and an Echo Device?
If you’re a new user of Amazon’s Echo devices and the Alexa app, this guide will help get you started with connecting the two. First, make sure your Echo device is set up and ready to go by following the quick start guide that came in the box. Once that’s done, open the Alexa app on your phone or tablet and follow these steps:
1) Tap the menu bar in the top left corner of the app.
2) Select “Settings” from the list.
3) Tap on “Alexa Devices.”
4) Under “Your Echo Devices” you’ll see your Echo device listed. If it’s not listed, make sure your Echo is turned on and connected to WiFi.
5) Next to “Device Name” there’s a toggle switch next to “App Link.” Make sure it’s turned on (green).
6) There’s a search bar at the top of the screen. Tap “Search” on the app and type in your Echo device name (IP address). In my case, for example, it’s 192.168.0.11 which is the default IP address for my Echo device.
7) The app will find your Echo device and connect to it. Once connected, you should see the “Connected” message at the top of the screen.
8) Tap “Alexa” on the search bar and find the option to “Open Alexa.
How to Download Alexa app on a Windows 10 Computer & Install
At the Microsoft Store, search for the Alexa app and open it. Click Download and Launch to confirm that the app has successfully begun downloading. Then, follow the instructions within the on-screen popup.
- Go to the magnifying glass located in the lower right corner of your screen and click the icon.
- Type the Microsoft Store into the bar and scroll down to Open.
- Type Alexa into the search bar on the Microsoft Store website. This is located in the upper right corner of the store.
- Choose the “Alexa” app, which you will have to open with the blue Alexa icon.
- Next, click the Download button to download Alexa to your computer. A progress bar will appear in the middle of your window. Wait for Alexa to finish downloading. The app requires 98 MB of disk space.
- When the Alexa app has finished downloading, click on Launch to install it on your computer.
- Then click Set up Amazon Alexa.
- Log in to an Amazon account. If you’re an existing Amazon user, enter your username and create your password. If you do not have an Amazon account, click Create a free Amazon account. In this option, you will be asked to enter a name, an email address, and a password. After you have created your Amazon account, you will be prompted to sign in.
- Then click Continue on the Terms and Conditions page.
- Then click Continue to authorize your computer to access your microphone.
- Click Yes if you wish to accept.
- Then choose hands-free or push-to-talk modes. With the hands-free option, all you have to do is say, “Alexa” to give a voice command. With the push-to-talk option, you must click on an Alexa icon in the app to give a voice command.
- Alexa will automatically be used the next time you log in to your computer. You can also have Alexa activate app sounds or pin the icon to the taskbar.
Click Finish in the final step of the installation and finish up making your app. By clicking Begin, you can also open Alexa Voice Remote by clicking the Start button when you’ve logged in to your computer. You can also choose to enable app sounds or pin the app to the taskbar.
If you use hands-free mode, Alexa will respond to your command even if the rest of the app is shut down or minimized. You can switch to the push-to-talk mode by toggling hands-free mode off. Just press the gray circle next to the bigger blue Alexa button at the bottom of the app.
You can find and change additional settings by clicking the three-line icon in the top-left corner of the app’s window.
How To Use Alexa App On PC – Windows 10/8/7 ( VIDEO )
Using the Alexa App: Some of the things you can do with the Alexa app on your computer include:
After downloading the Alexa app to your Windows 10 computer, you can use it to perform a number of tasks. You can ask Alexa what’s on my calendar to prepare for the upcoming day. During outings, you can ask Alexa to carry out tasks to your to-do list or add items to your shopping bag.
If you’d like to relax, use Alexa to play a track from Audible and Amazon Music. Also, you can set up Alexa skills for use with games, including Jeopardy, Bingo, and many more. You can also connect Alexa with a smart device, so you can command Alexa to turn on smart lights from your computer.
Likewise, there are a least limits to what you can do with Amazon Alexa on Windows. For one, you cannot listen to Apple Music or Spotify songs. Also, you cannot make phone calls, video calls, unscheduled calls, and drop-ins with ECHO Devices.
In conclusion, if you want to install the Alexa App on your computer, you can do so by following these simple steps. The app will allow you to manage your devices, ask questions, and even control your smart home devices. So, don’t wait any longer and download the Alexa App today!
How do I download the Alexa app?
To download the Alexa app, open the App Store or Google Play Store on your mobile device and search for “Alexa.” The app will have a blue icon that features a white cloud and an orange flame. Once you’ve found it, tap the “Install” button to download and install the app.
Which app do I download for Echo Dot?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the best app for Echo Dot will vary depending on your individual needs. However, some popular options include Alexa, Amazon Music, Spotify, and Pandora.